Friday, February 4, 2011

Memories in the raw

A photograph is memory in the raw. ~Carrie Latet

One of the tasks I took on when my mom passed away was to scan all of our old family pictures so that my brother, sister and I didn't have to split them up. I took on this task not realizing how hard it would be to open than darn box and stare and hundreds of photos of my mom.

I finally gathered up the courage this week to peak into that box full of memories that still feel as fresh and alive as if they happened yesterday.

To my surprise, however, I found myself smiling more than I did crying (albeit the tears still came). I found joy in the pictures of our old house and weekends (of which there were many) spent at swim meets. The photos were a subtle reminder of the happy childhood me and my siblings enjoyed, despite there also being some tough times.

These pictures also reminded me of how much my mom sacrificed to provide us with a "normal" life growing up. Even though we struggled financially, my mom always found a way for us to participate in sports, have all the latest toys and clothes, and attend events. I especially remember how difficult it was to afford swimming. Swimming in Orange County, one of the premier swim communities in the nation, is not cheap. My mom would work off our monthly dues at team events and swim meets so that we could continue swimming. This isn't that daunting of a proposition for someone young and healthy, but my mom was very sick and still managed to put in enough time to pay for us.

At the time, I didn't realize how hard it was for my mom because she would never think twice about doing it or complain about it. As long as it meant her kids could continue doing what they love, she was happy to do it.

I don't know if I ever told her how much I appreciate all that she did for us. I am told (from other mothers, since I am not yet one myself ;) ) that a mother just knows these things...
I can only hope that she knew.

With that, here are a few of my favorite photos that I pulled out:

My mom and I at my aunt & uncle's wedding

The three of us

I could often be found attached to my mom's leg or hiding behind her (I was shy) :)

For some reason my sister and I thought it would be really fun to put plastic bags in our hair and on our hands & feet (weird, I know)

Unpacking as we move into our new house

My brother, sister, mom and me at my sister's Air Force bootcamp graduation

"Photos may give insight into our lives,
but memories of those times
is what keeps them alive."
Author: Unknown

2 comments:

  1. i love these photos!! i wish i could have met her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these great photos and memories Alison. I'm glad to hear that, at least on this day, they brought you more joy than sadness.

    ReplyDelete